Under the Corporate Management of Malankara Orthodox Church Colleges, Pathanamthitta - Kerala - India.
Department of Economics
The department of Economics was established in 1955. The department offers an undergraduate programme in Economics. The department has been making steady and spectacular results over the years. At the UG level, it has created more than 3000 graduates through 57 batches and many of them are occupying important positions in social life. The department proposes to start PG course subject to the approval of Government. The department bagged third rank in BA in 2008.
An Egalitarian society having holistic and sustainable development.
To mould posterity who would wipe tears from every eye and lead India in the steady state growth path towards sustainable and equitable development horizon.
Email ID of the Department
B. A. Economics
History and Politics as Complementary Papers
- Union Budget Analysis is conducted every year on March.
- Conducted a regional seminar on” Impact of International Trade on Kerala’s Economic Growth” on 10th December 2009. Dr. P. J Philip, Research Guide, Mahatma Gandhi University was the main resource person.
- A regional seminar was conducted on “Emerging Issues in Indian Economy” on 06/12/2013. Dr. M. P. Philip, Associate Professor in Economics, Post Graduate and Research Department of Economics, St. Berchmans’ College, Changancherry was the main resource person. Prof. Itty Varghese, Principal, St. Cyril’s College, Adoor inaugurated the seminar.
- Civil Service Orientation was conducted on 05/07/2014. Mr. Johnny Tom Varghese IAS led the session.
- UGC Sponsored two day National Seminar on “Inclusive Growth: The Unfinished Agenda” was conducted on 9th and 10th September 2015. More than 200 participants actively participated in various sessions.
- Financial literacy programme was launched during November 2015. As part of it, students and faculty members visited Karikulam Colony near the college and an awareness campaign was conducted among the colony members about the Fake Currency identification. A class on practical banking was conducted at Government Higher Secondary School, Thaicavu, Pathanamthitta.
- Classes on personality development and career guidance are conducted regularly.
Minor Research Projects
Title: - A Study on Spatial Variations of the Informal Labour Market in Kerala.
Principal Investigator: - Dr. Geevarghese M. Thomas.
Agency: - UGC
Period: - 2013-2015
- Evaluation of MGNREGS: A Case Study of Pramadam Grama Panchayath.
- An evaluation of National Rural Health Mission (NRHM) & National Urban Health Mission (NUHM) in Pathanamthitta District.
- Socio Economic Survey of students in the Catholicate College, Pathanamthitta.
- Financial Literacy Programme (Phase I).