Catholicate College has library established in 1952 to meet the needs of its students and staff. It has a wide range of library books, catering to the need of the college and making it as one of the largest college libraries in Kerala. The library has books in ,Malayalam, English, and in Hindi. The library is spread over 8000 sq ft and has a seating capacity for 80 students. The Library has a total of 69241 books of which 35242 are textbooks and 34999 are reference books. It also subscribes to 51 magazines/ journals. Apart form this; there are 4 departmental libraries one each for biochemistry, biology, chemistry and mathematics. It has 23 Indian journals and 4 foreign journals. It also has 937 back volumes of journals.
The library is digitalized and operates on Infoweavers software.
Visit Online Library Portal
The library has for Broad band connectivity. The library is linked to each department and faculty and students can access books from any of the terminals provided in the college. The library is open all the days except Sundays and national holidays. It operates from 8.30 am to 5 pm form Monday to Friday and 8.30 am to 2.30pm on Saturdays. Library gives open access to students and staff. A student can issue two books in his/her name at time and keep the book for 15 days if it is a textbook. Reference books are not allowed to take out of the library. Staff members are allowed to keep up to 10 books for a period of one year.
Through INFLIBNET connectivity the library obtained the facility of 2000 well refereed e-journals, 40,000 e-books for reference.
- The Golden Jubilee memorial central library functions on all days of the week except Sundays between 8.30 a.m. to 5p.m.
- The library is spacious enough to accommodate two hundred students at a time.
- Books are arranged subject-wise and guidelines for issue of books are printed in the College handbook.
- Periodicals and reference books are arranged in separate sections.
- The internet browsing facilities provided in the general library can also be availed of.
- In addition to the general library, the departments also have their own libraries with essential books and other reading materials.
- The restructured curriculum which encourages self learning to a great extent, has contributed to better use of the library. Use of library has become indispensable primarily on account of academic assignments and seminars each student has to perform.
- Therefore the number of students consulting books and journals for specific purposes has registered considerable increase. This is evident especially because both PG and Science UG students are required to submit dissertations at the end of their course.
Library Rules & Regulations
- The Library follows the open access system.
- Books of reference and rare books will not be issued for use outside the Library.
- The library is open from 8.30 a.m to 5.00 p.m on all days except Sundays and Public holidays
- Identity card is to be produced for entering to the reading room and for issue of books.
- Strict silence should be observed inside the library and reading room.
- Books are issued between 9.30 am and 11.30am.& between 1.00 pm & 2.30 pm. on every working day.The loan counter will be closed at 4.00 pm.with the approval of the Principal.
- Each student will be issued one borrower's ticket against which books may be borrowed from the library.
- Application for book should be made in the prescribed form.
- A student shall not retain a book for more than 14 days. If the due date is a holiday, the book must be returned on the next working day. If a student fails to return the book before the due date he / she shall pay a fine of Re. 1/- for every day the book is kept beyond the period allowed. The book may however, be renewed on the due date. The book must be produced at the library for such renewal.
- A student returning a book shall produce with it the required slip properly filled in.
- Book must be carefully examined at the time of issue. The borrower will be held responsible for any damage.
- Marking in Books, spoiling or causing damage to binding etc, shall result in punishment.
- The loss of any book must be immediately reported to the Librarian and with her permission the book may be replaced by a new volume failing which its cost, as decided by the librarian must be paid.
- Sub lending of books is strictly forbidden.
- A number of magazines and periodicals are available in the reading room. These can be borrowed from the library assistant and must be returned to him after reading. Students are not permitted to take them out of the reading room.
- A student who damages any magazine or periodical may be required to pay a fine or deprived of the privilege of using the reading room.
- Umbrella, handbag, and other personal belongings including books must be left at the counter before entering the room.