The Department which started functioning in 1952 under the leadership of Prof. V. T. Thomas, leaves past over 70 years of triumphant memories on commendable contributions made towards the smooth and successful course till to date. The Under graduate course began in 1957 and department claims the credit of possessing two P.G courses namely,Polymer Chemistry and Analytical Chemistry which were constituted in 1995. Students of the Department secured top ranks in both UG and PG Chemistry at the University level examinations adding glory and honour to the alma mater. There are about 200 students studying chemistry at the UG and PG levels. The department library has about 1700 volumes of advanced books with both lending and reference options to students in addition to the books in the general library. The department has four laboratories with well equipped instruments.
The department acknowledges the services and contributions of all its retired/transferred teachers and non-teaching staff who in their various positions as HOD /faculty member/ staff members promoted the development of the department. The department has 12 teaching staff members and 3 laboratory staff members. Out of 12, 10 teaching staff members of the department have research degrees from reputed universities and institutions. Every member in the department is dedicated to the development of the department as well as the college. Our alumni occupy esteemed positions like academicians, scientists, administrators, professors, etc. in India and abroad. Department has signed MoU with Common Facility Service Centre, Changanassery, Govt. of Kerala, Akay Natural Ingredients Pvt. Ltd, Kochi and St. Alberts College, Ernakulam (Autonomous) which helps to transfer both knowledge and technical skills between us.
The department also offers a certificate course on Rubber based products in collaboration with Common Facility Service Centre, Changanassery. The Department takes pride in having twenty international papers presented and published in various reputed journals and conferences held across the globe. The Department publishes the annual publication Meson, a compilation of all the creative ideas and thoughts of the student. It also enjoys the credit of having a healthy departmental association of all the students and teachers called Daltons conclave which caters to both academic and non-academic aspect of every student. The minority students and those belonging to SC/ST enjoy the privilege of keeping books with them for at least about six months without any penalty to be remitted.